Library Tour of Homes 2016 information coming soon.
Friends Of The Library Christmas Tour of Homes - 2015
by Yvonne Cappe'
Four of West Feliciana's unique homes plus St. Mary's Episcopal Church will be opened for this year's Christmas Tour of Homes sponsored by the Friends of the West Feliciana Parish Library. Decked out in their Christmas finest, all the homes and the church are located just north of St. Francisville making for easy travel and will be available for viewing from 10 am – 4 pm, Saturday, December 5th, as part of the Annual Christmas in the Country weekend.
Dwight and Martha Singer's home, Briar Creek, located at 11001 Briar Creek Road, is surrounded by trees and bluffs in the Tunica Hills. The Singers purchased this property in 1986. When closing the sale, it was discovered that a property line was running through the middle of the existing cabin. The Singers owned the kitchen and bath, and the previous owner owned the living room. Luckily, the previous owner was receptive to an offer to buy additional acres to save the deal. The dog trot cabin has been renovated over the past 10 years to include a bedroom wing – which must be entered from outside – a den, office, butler's pantry, and screen porch. The walls are filled with art from loved artists, contemporary western artists, and Martha Singer's art. Under an oak tree in the pasture sits a sheep herder's wagon, reconstructed by Dwight from a 1920's farm wagon. Dwight encourages all visitors to visit his barn, too. He's quite proud of it.
Harmony and Melody B&Bs
harmonyHarmony House located at 6876 Ouida-Irondale Road and Melody House, right next door at 6878 are connected by a bridge. Keith Koppens and the late Paul Fowler built Harmony House as a guest house for Ouida Plantation in 1999. They hired local designer Ellen Kennon to design the cottage based on the architectural design she created for her own home, but increasing the size to 2200 square feet. The name Harmony House comes from the fact that the decoration entailed six designers working together in harmony carefully coordinating paint colors and fabrics.
MelodyLocated on seven private wooded acres, Koppens and Fowler often rented Harmony House out as a B&B retreat where Randy Hunter and Janie Simmons often stayed. Hunter purchased it in 2000, furnishings and all, extending the deck and bringing in soil to create a side yard. Later Hunter built Melody House for Janie, joining the two houses by a 150' foot bridge that crosses a 60 foot wooded ravine. Both houses have extensive screened porches with double fireplaces and spacious decks. In the spring of 2014, when Hunter and Simmons decided to move closer to town, Keith Koppens and his partners Vincent Chatelain and Pam Randazza purchased the properties. Both houses are available for rent as vacation retreats either separately or together.
Home of Tim and Laura Lindsey and their six children
LindseyLocated at 12534 Island Road, the Lindsey home may be the last home on your tour if one begins from the southern tip of the loop route or it will be the first home if one begins from the northern tip. This Eastern farmhouse style called the Carolina Eye was the inspiration of Tim's father, Lloyd Lindsey, Jr. u when designing what would many years later become Tim and Laura's home. Local architect,Coco Treppendahl, redesigned the addition to fit the Lindsey's large family of eight.
Since the house backs up to a bluff, Coco removed the front porch and designed the front addition to encompass more of the front of the house. The new addition consists of living, kitchen, and dining rooms with a screen porch off the dining room along with a porch upstairs and down. A beautiful oak given to the Lloyd Lindsey family from Grace Episcopal as a house blessing still stands strong outside.
The barns on the property are still filled with antique farming equipment. Tim's father would hook up mules and do his plowing and planting in the garden.
According to Laura Lindsey, “What wonderful memories we have shared here, with many more to come. Our family is thankful to be able to continue in the footsteps of Tim's grandfather, Lloyd Lindsey,Sr. who developed Lake Rosemound and cared for it deeply. We know he would have been happy to see the fourth generation of Lindseys living here.”
St. Mary's Church
St. MarysSt. Mary's Episcopal church was built in 1857 on land donated by Sarah Mulford of Retreat Plantation. Its Gothic Revival style follows a design by famed ecclesiastical architect Frank Wills of New York. Consecrated in 1858 by the Episcopal Diocese, it served the religious and social needs of the planters in the area until the 1940's. St. Mary's now operates as a non-profit organization and the church and cemetery are under restoration. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is recognized for its beautiful architecture and place in the history of West Feliciana. Located on Hwy 66 in the Weyanoke Community, it is open to the public 12 days a year and is available upon request for weddings, Baptisms, family gatherings, historical and cultural events.
Tour tickets may be purchased online at brownpapertickets.com, at the West Feliciana Parish Library, 5114 Burnett Road., the Louisiana Gift Basket Company, 5634 Suite B, Commerce Street, and The Conundrum Book Shop, 11917 Ferdinand Street for $25 per ticket. On event day, one may purchase tickets at the West Feliciana Parish Library and all the Tour Homes for $30. Children twelve years and under do not need a ticket.
For more information, please call the library at 225-635-3364 or tour chairperson, Pat Heurtin, 225-784-2731.